
Christmas is really getting started here. It's still kind of odd for me because it's still the weather is still in the upper 80's...certainly different than most of you who have already seen some snow a couple of times. I had a little Christmas party for the kids at the Sala de Tarea on Friday which was tons of fun. I brought in a fake Christmas tree, but was missing the top part of it, so it just looks like a short, fat, poor little tree. The kids loved decorating it though. We made some ornaments and cards to put on it as we listened to some Christmas music and watched The Santa Claus.
Friday night we went Christmas caroling with the Vida Full guys. That was quite interesting but loads of fun. It was funny cause we sang Feliz Navidad which is in Spanish and English. When we got to the part that has "I want to wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart," they had no idea what the words were, so we always ended up singing, "na na na na na na na naaaa." Oh it was fun!
Saturday night we had a formal Christmas dinner with all the YFC and CCI (the church I go to) volunteers and that was great! Everyone was so nicely dressed and surprisingly, all the food was really delicious (we made everything ourselves). I even made some brownies which ended up being quite tasty. During the dinner w

e had to go around the table and say something good that has happened over the past year; the most important thing, or just something in general we have been thankful for. As we went around the table, people said they were glad that I came and that they are truly going to miss me when I leave. It touched my heart to hear some of the things that they had to say about me. When it was my turn I said that obviously the best thing over the past year for me was coming here. It's amazing to me how incredible this experience has been. I was excited before I came, but didn't really know what to expect. I thought I'd come, do some work, get to know people. But I had no idea I was going to love it this much. The people here have become like family to me and they mean the world to me. I've been here for 4 and a half months now and the time is just flying by. I don't know what I'm going to do when July comes around and I have to leave. I know it will be here before I know it.
I can't wait to experience the other Christmas traditions here. They celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve with a huge dinner with family. Apparently it includes lots of food, music, fun, and goes late into the night. Christmas day we leave for the beach for a few days! Crazy talking about going to the beach at the end of December isn't it? The beach we are going to is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait!
Then on the 28th of this month, I leave to head to South Africa! I get to see my family in New York on the way there because they are spending a few days there and I have a 7 hour layover there! After that and a 17 hour plane ride, I will be with my best friend, Ariana, who I miss dearly. I honestly don't think I have ever been this excited to see my family and Ariana.
I hope you all have a wonderful Chirstmas and Happy New Year as I too will be having an incredible time with the multi-cultural holiday season I will be having. God bless you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment