Wednesday, November 12, 2008
DR Beauty
I spent a few days in Samana which is on the northern coast of the island (I am on the southern coast). It was absolutely beautiful! We spent all day Monday on the beach which I have heard is rated one of the top 5 in the world. The sand is white and the water is so blue. It's completely unspoiled...no tourists yet, just natural beauty. It was so good to get out of the city for a few days and enjoy the peacefulness of the country. I got to lay out on the roof at night and gaze at the stars in silence...no motorcycles or loud music playing, just the donkey that occasiouly decided to sing.
Today was the start of the Sala de Tarea. I wasn't expecting to have any students show up, but I ended up having 3! I know that doesn't sound like many at all, but that is actually really good for the first day. These are people that hadn't even registered before. I felt kind of bad because there are only a limited amount of supplies for activities and the kids finished their homework quickly. I apologized to them for not having much and they told me that it's ok, cause it's what I do have is really fun. We did some water painting, coloring, and even played a game with English flashcards which they really enjoyed. Next week I'll add in the Bible time which should be fun. Hopefully I'll start thinking of other games and crafts to do too.
My Spanish is even getting better because there was no one else there today, so it was just me and the 3 kids. I was obviously forced to speak in Spanish to them, and it wasn't half bad which is a good sign.
Please pray for this ministry. I only have 4 volunteers, but they don't work everyday, so I need enough people to help me out daily. Pray that more and more kids will come and that the Sala de Tarea environment will be a fun place for them to be after school where they can learn and grow in God as they build relationships with other children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment